The tag guidelines were last updated
Why Tags Matter
Derpibooru has a lot of different types of content and almost any type of artwork and most types of meta content are allowed, thus, the use of filters to only see that which you want to is essential. Tags are a necessity for filtering to work, and rating tags are the most important because they capture large categorical distinctions of content type.
These are the most important tags, which you should start out with before considering others.
The rating tags
These very special tags group content into broad categories. They appear blue with fancy tags. Note that any ratings can coexist on an image unless otherwise specified here.
At minimum, you must tag an image with at least one of the rating tags.
The safe rating
Safe for work and children.
Screencaps from the show without changes, and only reasonable animation loops, are always safe.
Images tagged safe cannot have any other rating.
The sexual ratings (one per image)
Sexual in an implied manner.
- Mostly-bare breasts/buttcheeks/crotch on those that normally wear clothes
- Sexualized scenarios (adults in diapers, transgender transformation, etc.)
- Sexualized touching of breasts/buttcheeks
- Sexually emphasized body areas, such as "presenting" poses or "feet worship"
- Pubic hair (note that use as a censor is questionable for almost-visible genitals)
- Imagery suggestive of genitals (such as a sub sandwich attached to a crotch)
- Sexual innuendo
- References to genitalia/sex/sex acts
Sexual in an outright, but not full-on, manner.
- Nipples on breasts
- Sexualized gross scenarios (being in a stomach, morbid obesity, diaper soiling, watersports, eyeball licking, etc.)
- Genitals that are almost visible or visible as vague outlines through clothing (detailed would be explicit)
- Moderately detailed anuses (such as a star in a circle), note that simple anuses (such as just a star) are like any normal body part (safe, suggestive if sexualized)
- Sexualized touching of the following areas:
- Between buttcheeks or around the anus
- Sex toys
- Sexual acts (but not sex) with things representing genitals (such as licking a sub sandwich/horn like a penis)
- Implicit insertions (clearly going up a hole, but not visible and not done for them to get off, such as enemas or a comedic shove)
- Descriptions of sex
Sex and showing what we use for it.
- Genitals (penis, vagina/vulva, balls, etc.), note that sheaths are like any normal body part (safe until sexualized)
- Detailed anuses
- Sex (genital/anal stimulation, even if not visible)
- Sexual bodily fluids (cum, precum, or vaginal fluids)
- Extremely detailed descriptions of sex
The dark ratings (one per image)
Dark, but not depressing.
- Non-depressing death (such as passing away in sleep)
- Dark humor
- Axe-crazy insanity
- Amputation/severe injury
- Dark implications (such as implied death/rape)
- Depressing death, especially horrific deaths or murder
- Rape (not simply surprise sex or rape-play, receiving party is very not okay with it)
- Inhumane captivity/slavery
The gross rating
- Body horror
- Extreme filth
- Detailed scat
Other important tags
You will likely be banned for repeatedly not tagging these, as with ratings.
artist:artist name here— specifies the work's artist
- artist needed (0)— when the artist is unknown
- futa (0)— a female, but with a penis; counts as its own gender for gender-based tags
- meta (0)— stuff about stuff
- seizure warning (0)— rapid animations that could potentially cause seizures
- text (1)— when the main point is in text
These tags apply for any sexual or romantic acts as well as relationships, and no two are mutually exclusive. Note that female by default does not include futa.
You likely won't be banned for forgetting these tags, but they are still important.
- bisexual (0)— a character involved with a male and a female simultaneously
- gay (0)
- futa on female (0)— a female involed with a futa
- futa on futa (0)— a futa involved with another futa
- futa on male (0)— a male involved with a futa
- lesbian (0)
- straight (0)
These are generally expected on upload, but are less important.
- anthro (0)— non-humans with partial human body shapes not normal for their species
- Character tags (e.g. applejack (0)) — when the character is in the image
- crossover (0)— when elements from another media universe are combined with MLP elements
- equestria girls (0)— for characters and locations from the Equestria Girls series
- ponified (0)— when a non-pony character has been turned into a pony
- humanized (0)— when a non-human character has been turned into a human
- shipping (0)— characters are in a romantic or sexual relationship
- solo (28)— when there is only one character in the image
- solo male (0)solo female (1)solo futa (0)— on suggestive/questionable/explicit images, specifying the gender of the one character
- oc (0)— when any character in the image is an original character (not from the show, fan-made)